I packed a picnic full of good stuff for an all day adventure with the crew. With the help of Nalo Juice Company, we had enough energy to paddle out on the canoe, hike on sharp lava, jump cliffs, swim against currents, and paddle back in at the end of the day.
Essentials for a Perfect Beach Day Picnic
Pitaya & Coconut Granola Bars
Local watermelon, mango, and pineapple
Fresh poke with lots of limu
Fresh juice from Nalo Juice Co.
See Lindsey's list of beach day essentials.
PITAYA & COCONUT CHEWY GRANOLA BARS
1 C pitted dates
1 1/2 C rolled oats
1/4 raw almonds, chopped
1/4 C chia seeds
2 T sunflower seeds
2 T pumpkin seeds
2 T sesame seeds
2 T dried pitaya (dragon fruit), chopped
1/4 C dried coconut, unsweetened
1/2 t kosher salt
1/4 C honey
1/2 C creamy peanut butter
1. In a 350 degree oven, toast oats and chopped almonds until browned, about 10-15 minutes.
2. Make date paste. Add dates to food processor. Begin by pulsing to break up the dates, then process until a ball forms.
3. Date paste will be soft and sticks together in a ball.
4. In a small sauce pan over medium high heat, melt the peanut butter and honey.
5. Add toasted oats and almonds, pumpkin, sesame, and chia seeds, coconut, date paste and salt in a bowl and pour honey peanut butter mixture over. Mix well with a spatula, breaking up the date paste really well. If the mixture appears a bit dry, add a teaspoon of water.
6. After mixing, add the pitaya pieces. Mix gently to incorporate.
7. Dump the mixture onto a quarter sheet pan lined with a silicone mat, or a 10x10 pan lined with parchment paper.
8. Firmly press the mixture together to even it out. Make sure everything is packed in very tightly. Put in freezer for about an hour to set.
9. Cut into bar shapes, and enjoy!